Saturday, December 25, 2010

One Of A Kind Christmas

What a lovely Arizona day- perfect to celebrate Christmas. Merry Christmas!


We celebrated by opening stocking stuffers first. I'm totally into opening presents and guessing what each one will be. "I know what it is. It's a monkey." Yes, that really was my standard response. There was lots and lots of laughter this morning. Mostly at my expense, I suspect. Oh, well. Maybe I really did think I was getting a lot of monkeys!

Pretty necklace!


Oh, a journal for me to color and write in. Yay!
Wowsers. A super cool tea set, complete with a basket. Just what I wanted!
Gotta put this to use right away! Tea, AH? No worries, "it's not hot".
I also got a medical set, which is perfect timing with the pending arrival of my little sister. No need for a pediatrician. I've been a patient long enough. I know just how to check little sister out myself.

And now, for a special event on this here blog- a guest blogger! From AH and UB, I present the story of this super cool rocker.

So here I am sitting in a super-cool rocking chair. Why is it “super-cool?” Well, let me tell you.
This chair originally belonged to my great-great grandfather. That’s right, my grandfather’s grandfather owned this chair.

Here is the story. My great-great grandfather was a fellow named Waclaw Bill. In 1913, he married a wonderful woman named Ewa Pasek. He was 21 and she was 18. (I’m only two but I’ve already promised my parents I won’t get married at 18 years old.) Wow…1913…2013 will be the 100th anniversary of their marriage. Maybe my Great Uncle Bob will wear a funny tie or something to mark the event (a whole other story).

Anyway, Waclaw and Ewa had four children: Wanda, Chester, Emily, and John. Waclaw and Ewa and their four children lived in Detroit. Wanda Bill is my great-grandmother. She married Frank Krempa II who is my great-grandfather. Frank and Wanda’s son is my grandfather, Frank Krempa III, and he could tell you stories about how he and his sisters Diana and Helen (my great aunts) as kids answered the telephone at the family business (W. Bill Moving, Local and Long Distance) and stories about my great-great grandfather sending the kids to the store to buy him yucky cigars. And the kids could spend the change. Awesome! Great-Great Grandpa Bill used to sit in this very chair I am pictured in now. It used to be on the porch on the house in Detroit and Great-Great Grandma Bill thought he was stuck in the chair as he was always rocking away…
Somewhere in the process of life, the chair ended up in my great grandfather’s basement in Wyandotte, Michigan and when he passed away in 1993, my Great-Aunt Helen and Great-Uncle Bob got the chair refinished. They took it to Arizona with them and here I am rocking away in history.

As for Great-Great Grandpa Bill and Great-Great Grandma Bill (I hear she was a heck of a cook) and Great-Grandpa Krempa and Great-Grandma Krempa, sorry I never got to meet you. Hope somehow you are looking out for me and my soon-to-arrive sister.

P.S. I like to rock too, but I’ll pass on the cigars.

Keeping the decorating theme alive it was high time to decorate cookies! Yummy. This trip is when I officially discovered candy and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Food Network, here I come!
If I don't eat all my creations, that is!
Candy Addict in the making....
UB is super great with me. We had a blast playing Strawberry Shortcake. He was way more dressed for the occasion than I was..
Then it was time for bed. Or so I thought. Just as Mommy lied down with me, she was called out of the room. Turns out the massive snow storm that was a brewin' caused us to run scared back to NJ. We changed our tickets and got the 11:30pm flight out of Phoenix Christmas night and I slept with Mommy's ever dwindling lap as my pillow. Sorry to run out a day early on vacation but it was worth it as we got the last three seats on the plane before everything shut down.

I had a blast, AH and UB. Please come visit me soon in NJ. I'll even let you meet little sister!

No comments: