Monday, January 12, 2009

A Huge Disappointment

Today was my six month check up with Dr. M. It started out okay and then went quickly due south. It seems that I am a disappoinment to my Mommy. The doctor said that I am totally normal. Yep, you heard it here first. I'm not a super baby with special hidden talents.

I am 15 pounds 5 ounces.
I've grown to be a whole 26 inches.
My head is 16.5 inches around.

So, my weight and height are at the perfectly normal 50% range and my head size is in the 25-50% range. Not something to jump up and down about, huh? I'm not big or small. I'm just average. Who wants to brag about a smallish head? Not Mommy for sure!

After all the stats, Mommy tried to put my diaper on me and I showed her my new trick of squirming. She almost let me fall right off the exam table when I flipped over but she caught me in the nick of time. Good thing, otherwise I would have ended up with an extended doctor's appointment.

We had a lengthy converstation about my aversion to rice cereal and solids in general. The doctor is on my side and said not to push me. I'll eat when I'm good and ready. In the meantime, he gave the go ahead to try lots of different foods so I can get an idea of what I'd eat if I wanted to eat. Let the tasting begin!

My tear duct issue is still rearing its ugly head and I ended up with my very first script for antibiotics to clear up the gunk that happens when Mommy doesn't do a good job of keeping my eye all clean.

I was totally fine with all this talking, but then the doctor wanted to touch me for the physcial exam. I thought I just wasn't sure about the other doctor and nurse, but it turns out that I dislike all doctors and nurses. I screamed bloody murder for the rest of the appointment until the doctor left the room. Mommy refused to dress me since I was headed to the injection room. Yep, my unloving Mommy hauled my naked self with a big booty grin on my face across the office. I'm not sure who was more horrified, the other parents or nurses that we marched past.

Mommy plopped me on the table for my shots and the screaming just burst right out of my body. You would have thought I was possessed by evil spirits. As soon as the shots were over Mommy scooped me up and I returned to my happy baby self.

I got the flu shot, DTaP and Rotavirus today and go back in two weeks for the other two (Hib and Prevnar- seems polio skips this round). In four weeks I get my second flu shot.

Instead of heading home for some rest, we had a home inspection this afternoon. Man, did I follow the inspector through the whole house and learned a whole bunch about home maintenance. I told the nice man that I might want to become their youngest employee. Finally we headed home in the late afternoon and I was super excited for an early bedtime. Night-night!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh! That sounds like so many of my doctor's appointments! My Vanessa seems to be calmer now at appointments, but we definitely had times when she screamed from the time we got there until the time she left! Ah, well, the joys of parenting!

Anonymous said...

Daddy is very annoyed by the use of the phrase "disappointment" to describe the best baby in the world.